Window films and frosting
Glazing manifestation or frosted window films are a legal requirement on all glazed screens, doors and partitions within the office workplace. This is in order to comply with The Building Regulations 2010 as part of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 along with The Workplace (Heath, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 Regulation 14.
Extract from The Building Regulations 2010: Access to and use of buildings
Section 2: Access into buildings other than dwellings – Glass entrance doors and glazed screens
2.22 People with visual impairment should be in no doubt as to the location of glass entrance doors, especially when they are within a glazed screen. The choice of a different style of manifestation for the door and the glazed screen can help to differentiate between them.
2.23 The presence of the door should be apparent not only when it is shut but also when it is open. Where it can be held open, steps should be taken to avoid people being harmed by walking into the door.
2.24 Glass entrance doors and glazed screens will satisfy Requirement M1 or M2 if:
- they are clearly defined with manifestation on the glass at two levels, 850mm to 1000mm and 1400mm to 1600mm above the floor, contrasting visually with the background seen through the glass (both from inside and outside) in all lighting conditions;
- manifestation takes the form of a logo or sign at least 150mm high (repeated if on a glazed screen), or a decorative feature such as broken lines or continuous bands, at least 50mm high;
- glazed entrance doors, where adjacent to, or forming part of, a glazed screen, are clearly differentiated from it by the provision of a high-contrast strip at the top and on both sides;
- glass entrance doors, where capable of being held open, are protected by guarding to prevent the leading edge constituting a hazard.
Window films are clean, quick to install and cost effective. What’s more they can be removed and replaced – a low cost way to update your office. We can remove old glazing films and fit new ones on existing glass partitioning, windows and doors – not just for the new partitioning we supply.
With our knowledge and experience in this area, glass manifestations can offer much more than some boring opaque bands to make sure people don’t walk into your glazing!
The current technology in window film allows a wide range of designs and options to be applied to glass partitioning. Computer controlled Laser cutting enables you to reinforce corporate branding through company logos & symbols on your glazing or to have elaborate, contemporary designs & artwork.
Manifestations aren’t restricted to that white frosted appearance. They can be printed-on in full colour and at photo quality to create a stunning visual impact in your office. Combined with our full height glass partitions will make for a truly impressive office interior design.
Frosted window film provides a cost effective solution to any privacy issues within the office. A high coverage of frosting stops people seeing in whilst still letting lots of light pass through. It’s a great way to help let natural sunlight flood into the workplace and keep that modern feeling of openness.
A range of privacy window films allows for one-way daytime privacy using reflective, silver, frosted or tinted window films. This works by reflecting light, so during the day it will give a mirrored or tinted appearance obscuring vision from outside whilst still allowing a clear view looking out.
Privacy window films can be provided with Class A security for installation to your existing external glazing. Not only does this stop outsiders seeing into your office but is designed to with-take multiple impacts thus slowing down any would be intruders. In some cases the security film will keep the broken or smashed glass secure in the window frame.
In Part N of The Building Regulations it is a requirement that in certain areas in a workplace all glass be safe glass i.e. that if it breaks it does so safely and not into large sharp shards. Safety window film is a much more cost effective way to ensure your office complies with Health and Safety requirements than replacing all the glazing.
How we can help
- Our knowledge in this area will help make sure your office conforms to the legal and safety requirements.
- Rodley Interiors Graphic Studio can provide you with design options and choices before issuing proofs for your approval.
- We can remove old window films and partitioning manifestations.
- Our skilled fit-out team will professionally install glass manifestations throughout the glazing in your office.